You can have a rich pasta dish with minimal effort by using couscous, which is a precooked pasta. If you don’t like sausage, use freeze-dried hamburger instead.
If you need gluten-free, use instant rice couscous (it’s very easy to make it at home, from instant rice).
I don’t call for salt in the recipe as there is salt in the sausage and Parmesan cheese. But if you prefer salty, bring it on your trip to add to taste.
If you prefer your sausage to be smaller pieces, I would recommend you whirl it in your blender quickly (after measuring it). It will also rehydrate faster in smaller pieces.
Pack in a sandwich or quart freezer bag:
- ¼ cup freeze-dried sausage crumbles
- ¼ cup couscous
- 1 Tbsp dried diced carrots
- 1 Tbsp dried or freeze-dried chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp freeze-dried tomato dices
- 2 Tbsp dried tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried or freeze-dried diced garlic
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1 Tbsp or 1 packet olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (shelf stable green can) or 1-2 packets
Boil ¾ water. Place freezer bag in an FBC Cozy. Add in the oil and the water, sirring well. Seal bag tightly and let sit in cozy for 15 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
One Pot Method:
Bring ¾ cup water and oil to a boil. Add in the dry ingredients, stir well. Turn off stove, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
In cool weather or at higher altitude use a pot cozy to insulate.
FTC Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links that give us commissions on products purchased. These items are what we used in the recipes. This includes both Amazon and Thrive Life.