Craving a hearty chowder, to warm your bones on a cold evening? Trail cooking is made simple with this one pot soup. Grab a couple of crusty rolls at the store before heading out on your trip, to dip into the soup.
- 1 cup dried instant hash browns
- 1⁄4 cup diced dried onions
- 4 tsp low sodium vegetable or beef bouillon
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1⁄4 tsp diced dried garlic
- 1⁄4 tsp dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fried onions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or 1 packet
In a sandwich bag, pack the hash browns through black pepper. In a second bag, pack the mashed potatoes through the fried onions. Tuck in the oil.
Add the vegetable/seasoning bag and 4 cups water to your pot. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes for the vegetables to rehydrate. Add the oil, stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the flame to low, cover and simmer on a low boil for five minutes. Turn off the stove and the contents of the cheese/potato bag to the pot. Stir well, taste for seasoning and more pepper and salt as desired.