Salsa and Chicken Rice
- 1 cup instant rice
- ½ cup dried salsa*
- ½ cup freeze-dried corn, preferably roasted
- 1 ounce freeze-dried chicken (a shy ½ cup)
- 1 Tbsp or packet of coconut oil or olive oil
- 2-ounces cheddar cheese, finely diced or shredded
Bag the dried ingredients in a quart size freezer bag for FBC Method, or a sandwich bag for One Pot Method. Seal tightly, and mark “Add 2½ cups water”. Tuck oil packet in.
One Pot Method:
Bring 2½ cups water and oil to a boil in your pot. Add in dry ingredients, stir well. Turn off stove. Insulate pot for 10 to 15 minutes. (Higher altitude can take longer) Stir well, top with cheese, cover and let melt.
Place freezer bag in a cozy, add in oil. Pour in 2½ cups water that has been boiled. Stir well, seal bag tightly and close cozy. Let sit for 15 minutes. Divide meal by using a second bag, top with cheese.
- *Salsa is easily dried at home, or you can buy commercially freeze-dried salsa.
- If you want to use pouch or canned chicken, use only 2 cups water.
- Dry weight of mix is 8 ounces + oil packet.