Cheezy Rice and Vegetables
Pack into a quart freezer bag –
- 1½ cups instant brown rice or home cooked and dehydrated brown rice
- ½ cup freeze-dried vegetable mix (such as JustVeggies)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- Pinch of fine sea salt
Pack in a snack bag –
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt and ground black pepper, each
Pack in a small bag –
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or favorite thickener (arrowroot, potato starch, etc)
Also take –
- 2 cups shelf stable unsweetened non-dairy milk (see above for links and options)
- Raw or spiced cashews for topping, if desired
FBC Hybrid –
Bring 2 cups water to a boil, set aside for a minute or two. Add it to the rice bag, stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.
Two Pot Method –
Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a 1 Liter pot, add in the rice bag contents, return to a boil, take off the stove and cover tightly. Put in a pot cozy for 15 minutes.
For Sauce –
Add ¼ cup of the milk to the cornstarch bag, seal and shake to dissolve cornstarch. Meanwhile, add the remaining milk to a 1 Liter or so sized pot with the nutritional yeast bag contents, bring to a boil, turn the flame down on the stove to maintain a low boil. Add in the cornstarch liquid, whisk or stir rapidly till thickened, take off the stove.
Fluff up the rice and divide, top with the sauce. If desired, sprinkle cashews on top.